About Eugene Mutimura
Regional Alliance for Sustainable Development (RASD Rwanda)
P. O. BOX 1544 Kigali Rwanda
KG Ave 3, Karukamba Village, House # 1
Kamatamu Cell, Kacyiru
Phone: +250 078 830 2774 (Rwanda)
BSc (Hons): University of the Western Cape, Cape (1999-2000)
MSc: University of the Western Cape, Cape (2000-2002)
Ph.D: University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (2004-2007)
Fulbright Program: Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, US (2006-2007)
Interested in studies on determinants, mechanisms and management of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) [cancer, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus] particularly studies to regulate and control known risk factors for NCDs: physical inactivity, tobacco smoking, harmful alcohol use and unhealthy diet high in sugar, salt and fat content.
Mechanisms and management of body composition and metabolic abnormalities in HIV-related metabolic syndrome, as well other metabolic abnormalities associated with diabetes mellitus, obesity and cardiomyopathies. Specifically interested in studies on glucose metabolism, bone mineral density metabolism and fatty acid metabolism in infancy, childhood and adulthood
1. Tumusiime D, Mutimura E, Musabeyezu E, Hoover RD, Shi Q, Rudakemwa E et al. Over-reported peripheral neuropathy symptoms in a cohort of HIV infected and uninfected Rwandan women: the need for validated locally appropriate questionnaires. African Health Sciences 2014 (In Press)
2. Adedemeji A, Hoover D, Shi Q, Mutimura E, Cohne M, Gard TL, Sinayobye JD, Anastos K. Sexual behaviour and risk practices of HIV positive and HIV negative Rwandan women. AIDS and Behaviour 2014 (in Press)
3. Mutimura E, Hoover DR, Shi Q, Sinayobye JD, Cohen M, Anastos K. Longitudinal analysis of insulin resistance and antiretroviral therapy exposure in HIV-infected and uninfected Rwandan women. JAIDS 2014 (In review)
4. Mutimura E, Addison D, Anastos K, Hoover D, Dusingize JC, Shi Q et al for the IeDEA Central Africa Collaboration. Trends in and Determinants of CD4+ Cell Count at ART Initiation after Changes in National ART Guidelines: Data from five HIV Clinics in Kigali, Rwanda. HIV Medicine 2014 (In review)
5. Dillon DG, Gurdasani D, Riha J, Ekoru K, Asiki G, Mayanja BN, Levitt NS, Crowther NJ, Nyirenda M, Njelekela M, Ramaiya K, Nyan O, Adewole OO, Anastos K, Longenecker CT, Mbondi S, Mukaya JE, Mutimura E, Ndhlovu CE, Praygod G, Pefura Yone EW, Pujades-Rodriguez M, et al. Association of HIV and ART with cardiometabolic traits in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol. 2013 Dec;42(6):1754-71.
6. Dusingize JC, Hoover DR, Shi Q, Mutimura E, Kiefer E, Anastos K. Associations of HIV infection with insulin and glucose levels in antiretroviral-naive Rwandan women: a cross-sectional analysis. BMJ Open. 2013 Dec 5;3(12):e003879.
7. Ivan E, Crowther NJ, Mutimura E, Osuwat LO, Janssen S, Grobusch MP. Helminthic infections rates and malaria in HIV-infected pregnant women on anti-retroviral therapy in Rwanda. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013 Aug 15;7(8):e2380.
8. Gard TL, Hoover DR, Shi Q, Cohen MH, Mutimura E, Adedimeji AA, Anastos K. The impact of HIV status, HIV disease progression, and post-traumatic stress symptoms on the health-related quality of life of Rwandan women genocide survivors. Qual Life Res. 2012 Dec 28. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23271207
9. Munyazesa E, Emile I, Mutimura E, Hoover DR, Shi Q, McGinn AP, Musiime S, Muhairwe F, Rutagengwa A, Dusingize JC, Anastos K. Assessment of haematological parameters in HIV-infected and uninfected Rwandan women: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2012 Nov 20;2(6). doi:pii: e001600. 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001600. Print 2012.
10. Test FS, Mehta SD, Handler A, Mutimura E, Bamukunde AM, Cohen M. Gender inequities in sexual risks among youth with HIV in Kigali, Rwanda. Int J STD AIDS. 2012 Jun;23(6):394-9.
11. Ivan E, Crowther NJ, Rucogoza AT, Osuwat LO, Munyazesa E, Mutimura E, Njunwa KJ, Zambezi KJ, Grobusch MP. Malaria and helminthic co-infection among HIV-positive pregnant women: Prevalence and effects of antiretroviral therapy. Acta Trop. 2012 Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22940013
12. Walstrom P, Operario D, Zlotnick C, Mutimura E, Benekigeri C, Cohen MH. 'I think my future will be better than my past': Examining support group influence on the mental health of HIV-infected Rwandan women. Glob Public Health. 2012 Jul 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22812728
13. Test FS, Mehta SD, Handler A, Mutimura E, Bamukunde AM, Cohen M. Gender inequities in sexual risks among youth with HIV in Kigali, Rwanda. Int J STD AIDS. 2012 Jun;23(6):394-9.
14. Dusingize JC, Hoover DR, Shi Q, Mutimura E, Kiefer E, Cohen M, Anastos K. Association of serum albumin with markers of nutritional status among HIV-infected and uninfected Rwandan women. PLoS One. 2012;7(4):e35079. Epub 2012 Apr 19. PMID: 22532840 Sirotin N, Hoover D, Segal-Isaacson CJ, Shi
15. Sirotin N, Hoover D, Segal-Isaacson CJ, Shi Q, Adedimeji A, Mutimura E, Cohen M, Anastos K. Structural determinants of food insufficiency, low dietary diversity and BMI: a cross-sectional study of HIV-infected and HIV-negative Rwandan women. BMJ Open. 2012 Apr 13;2(2):e000714. Print 2012.
16. Kiefer E, Hoover DR, Shi Q, Dusingize JC, Cohen M, Mutimura E, Anastos K. Association of pre-treatment nutritional status with change in CD4 count after antiretroviral therapy at 6, 12, and 24 months in Rwandan women. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e29625. Epub 2011 Dec 28. PMID: 22216334
17. Musiime S, Muhairwe F, Rutagengwa A, Mutimura E, Anastos K, Hoover DR, Qiuhu S, Munyazesa E, Emile I, Uwineza A, Cowan E. Adherence to highly active antiretroviral treatment in HIV-infected Rwandan women. PLoS One. 2011;6(11):e27832. Epub 2011 Nov 17. PMID: 22114706
18. Mendes EL, Ribeiro Andaki AC, Brito CJ, CÃ³rdova C, Natali AJ, Santos Amorim PR, de Oliveira LL, de Paula SO, Mutimura E. Beneficial effects of physical activity in an HIV-infected woman with lipodystrophy: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2011 Sep 5;5:430. PMID: 21892961
19. Wyatt CM, Shi Q, Novak JE, Hoover DR, Szczech L, Mugabo JS, Binagwaho A, Cohen M, Mutimura E, Anastos K. Prevalence of kidney disease in HIV-infected and uninfected Rwandan women. PLoS One. 2011 Mar 28;6(3):e18352. PMID: 21464937
20. Anastos K, Hoover DR, Burk RD, Cajigas A, Shi Q, Singh DK, Cohen MH, Mutimura E, Sturgis C, Banzhaf WC, Castle PE. Risk factors for cervical precancer and cancer in HIV-infected, HPV-positive Rwandan women. PLoS One. 2010 Oct 20;5(10):e13525. PMID: 20976000
21. Anastos K, Ndamage F, Lu D, Cohen MH, Shi Q, Lazar J, Bigirimana V, Mutimura E. Lipoprotein levels and cardiovascular risk in HIV-infected and uninfected Rwandan women. AIDS Res Ther. 2010 Aug 26;7:34. PMID: 20796311
22. Mutimura E, Anastos K, Zheng Lin, Cohen M, Binagwaho A, Kotler DP. Effect of HIV infection on body composition and fat distribution in Rwandan women. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic). 2010 May-Jun;9(3):173-8. PMID: 20530472
23. Singh DK, Anastos K, Hoover DR, Burk RD, Shi Q, Ngendahayo L, Mutimura E, Cajigas A, Bigirimani V, Cai X, Rwamwejo J, Vuolo M, Cohen M, Castle PE. Human papillomavirus infection and cervical cytology in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected Rwandan women. J Infect Dis. 2009 Jun 15;199(12):1851-61. PMID: 19435429
24. Mutimura E, Crowther NJ, Stewart A, Cade WT. The human immunodeficiency virus and the cardiometabolic syndrome in the developing world: an African perspective. J Cardiometab Syndr. 2008 Spring;3(2):106-10. PMID: 18453811
25. Mutimura E, Stewart A, Crowther NJ, Yarasheski KE, Cade WT. The effects of exercise training on quality of life in HAART-treated HIV-positive Rwandan subjects with body fat redistribution. Qual Life Res. 2008 Apr;17(3):377-85. Epub 2008 Mar 5. PMID: 18320351
26. Mutimura E, Crowther NJ, Cade TW, Yarasheski KE, Stewart A. Exercise training reduces central adiposity and improves metabolic indices in HAART-treated HIV-positive subjects in Rwanda: a randomized controlled trial. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2008 Jan;24(1):15-23. PMID: 18275343
27. Mutimura E, Stewart A, Rheeder P, Crowther NJ. Metabolic function and the prevalence of lipodystrophy in a population of HIV-infected African subjects receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007 Dec 1;46(4):451-5. PMID: 18077834
28. Mutimura E, Stewart A, Crowther NJ. Assessment of quality of life in HAART-treated HIV-positive subjects with body fat redistribution in Rwanda. AIDS Res Ther. 2007 Sep 18;4:19. PMID: 17877798.
29. Mutimura E, Stewart A and Crowther NJ. HIV-associated Lipodystrophy and Exercise. South African Journal of Physiotherapy, 2006, 62: 2-6.
30. Amosun SL, Mutimura E, Frantz JM. Health promotion needs of physically disabled individuals with lower limb amputation in Rwanda. Disabil Rehabil. 2005 Jul 22;27(14):837-47.